1. You have the right to choose your closing attorney. If you wish for my firm to assist in your real estate matter, provide your lender with my contact information. If you are buying or selling a property, you will need to negotiate the closing attorney choice in the contract. If this is a decision made after the contract was executed, the parties can execute an amendment to change the closing attorney.
2. Whether purchasing or refinancing, make sure you have a homeowner's insurance policy in place. Your lender and my office will need a copy of the insurance declaration's page. It is important to ensure you have sufficient coverage on the structure and the contents or personal belongings.
3. IMPORTANT!! All funds exceeding $5,000 needed for closing, must be in the form of a wire transfer. WE DO NOT ACCEPT ACH TRANSFERS. Some banks process online wire requests as an ACH payment. My escrow account WILL NOT accept those funds. Please go to a branch location to process your wire. Any funds in the amount of $1,000 to $5,000 can be in the form of a cashier's check.
4. You will need a valid government photo ID such as a driver's license or passport with you at the time of closing.
5. Consider purchasing a survey if you are buying a property. A survey not only provides the owner with the location of the property's boundary lines, but also provides information such as building setback lines, easements and encroachments. If an owner has a survey, the survey must be certified to the property owner in order to ensure protection. A survey certified to a prior owner will not protect you.
6. Consider purchasing Owner's Title Insurance. Lenders require title insurance protecting their interests against title claims. Make sure your interest is protected. For more information on the importance of Owner's Title Insurance, seeStewart Title's information.
7. If one of the buyers is unable to attend the closing, please notify my office as soon as possible so arrangements can be made. This is especially important if you are borrowing money from a lender to purchase the house because the lender must approve the use of a power of attorney.
8. IMPORTANT!! There has been a great deal of fraud involving wire transmissions. Please only accept wiring instructions from the closing attorney's office, and ALWAYS call to verify instructions prior to sending funds. Call an office number you find in a separate search. We are not responsible for funds we do not receive if you have not verified instructions.
Contact our office for fees and title insurance, or click on Stewart's Title Premium Quote Page for an estimate.
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS SITE IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPREHENSIVE STATEMENT OF THE LAW OR, IN PARTICULAR, TO CONTAIN LEGAL ADVICE. THIS WEB SITE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLENT RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE FIRM NOR ANY ATTORNEY OF THE FIRM AND THE USER OR BROWSER.
1. If you owe a mortgage company for a loan secured by the property you are selling, we will need the name of the mortgage company(ies) and the loan number(s). We are required to obtain a written payoff directly from the lender. In the event the lender requires borrower's signed authorization, we will contact you to obtain your signature.
2. If the property is located in a subdivision with a mandatory homeowner's association, we will need the name of the management company, or if the association is managed by the homeowners, we will need the name and contact number of the treasurer. Homeowner's associations can potentially have a lien on the property as soon as the dues become payable; therefore, we are required to obtain a closing letter from the association.
**PLEASE NOTE: We will not close without the payoffs or closing letters.
3. Sellers do have some closing costs associated with selling property. Please call my office if you have any questions.
4. Problems can arise when more than one person holds title to a property or property is titled in the name of a company. The sooner my office knows how the property is titled, the sooner these types of problems can be addressed or avoided altogether.
5. You will need to bring a valid government photo ID to closing.
6. If you, a co-owner or all sellers are unable to attend the closing, please inform my office as soon as possible so arrangements can be made. I can overnight or email seller's documents, but there is an additional charge due to shipping costs. I will also need to allow for additional time.